About Us

Our History:


In the summer of 1923, a meeting was held at the Lake View School to discuss the formation of a Fire Department. The people interested felt they needed $600 to establish a unit, but those not interested voted it down. All was not lost as school trustee, Frank Trinder, gave permission to ring the school bell in case of fire.


On January 8,1924, a bad fire broke out in the Congregational Church and no fire fighting equipment was available. The Hamburg Fire Department was called but the people realized the Church would be a total loss before Hamburg could arrive with their equipment. So the people of the community formed a bucket line of both men and women. They took water from Ahren's well and passed along a chain of buckets to the men inside the Church, and after many anxious and weary minutes extinguished the blaze. The flames were extinguished before the Hamburg Fire Department arrived. This trying experience motivated the formation of an organized fire-fighting group.



June, 1924 - The American Car & Foundry Company donated two 40-gallon soda and acid tanks mounted on a hand drawn cart through the help of W.H. Prentiss. This was the first piece of mobile fire equipment used by the department. Soon after a 1916 Cadillac touring car was purchased by the members and converted to a fire truck. The tanks from the hand drawn cart were mounted on the Cadillac, along with racks to hold the pails, a metal bin to contain the soda, and a container for glass vials for the hydrochloric acid. The firemen rode on the running boards and on a platform on the rear. The siren was hand cranked, and a foot operated, trolley type bell was mounted on the right running board. 


August 1926 - The bid of Draugt Bros. of Hamburg was accepted to build the new Fire Hall for the sum of $26,996.00. After much discussion on what equipment was needed for the growing population of the fire district an order was drawn to purchase a 1926 American LaFrance pumper with a 40 gallon booster tank and 40 gallon chemical tank, for $8,325.00.


April 1927 - The new Fire Hall was completed. A three-day dedication ceremony followed that was well attended by many local and out of town visitors. They were highly impressed with the facility. 


1955 - Work commenced and Station 2 was built to house two pieces of fire equipment. This encouraged many young men from the surrounding area to join the Fire Department. The expansion of the new station and the influx of new recruits helped to make the fine fire-fighting unit what it is today.





1957 - A hydraulic rescue unit was purchased for $297.00 for the First Aid Squad to help remove the injured from wrecked vehicles on the highways.

1969-70 - A new Ford Station Wagon was purchased for the Chief. The Fire District also purchased new hoses and equipment for the fire trucks. The department purchased new helmets and gear for protection of the First Aid Squad. Also a new portable circular metal saw was purchased to help remove injured persons from wrecked automobiles.


Today the Lake View Fire District continues it's mission to provide it's citizens with the best in  Fire and EMS protection. Our current membership includes:


2017 Line Officers

Chief                                 Mark Szczepanik

1st. Assistant Chief            Keith Hauser

2nd. Assistant Chief           Brittany Jewett

Captain                             Christopher Schmidt

EMS Captain                       Christopher Zemrac

Junior Captain                   Timothy Pike

Junior Captain  William Schnorr

EMS Junior Captain             Kyle Brodnicki

Lieutenant                         Michael E. Krull

Lieutenant                         Bruce Oliver



2017 Administrative Officers

President                           Eugene Jewett

Vice President                   Joseph Nero

Recording Secretary           Barbara Lewis 

Financial Secretary             Mary Wicka

Treasurer                           Daniel Judd

Director                             James Tatar

Director                             Douglas DeBerardinis

Director  Bruce Oliver

Chaplain                            John Wicka


2017 Board of Fire Commissioners - Lake View Fire District

Chairman                           Michael F. Lewis

Commissioner/Secretary    John R. Wicka

Commissioner                    Roger Black

Commissioner                    Kyle Brodnicki

Commissioner                    Andrew Russell

Treasurer                          Jill Jewett

Purchasing Director           Mary Wicka




The Main Hall At Fire Station #1: The main hall at Fire Station #1, located at 2005 Lake View Road, is available for renting by residents of the Lake View Fire District.  The fee for renting is $300.00 for the hall and, if the kitchen will be used by a renter or a caterer, an additional $50.00 will be charged as a pre & post event kitchen inspection fee.  In addition to the fee, renters will be assessed a refundable security deposit of $250.00.  The deposit will be returned after the event if the hall and facilities are left in a clean and acceptable condition.  If alcohol is being served at your event, fire department bartenders are required at a cost of $10.00 per hour.  Normally, one bartender is required for every 100 persons at the event.  If your event requires an admittance fee and alcohol is being served, renters are required to obtain the appropriate Special Alcohol Use permit from the New York State Alcohol Beverage Control Board.  There are no exceptions to this rule.  Lastly, renters are required to provide the Lake View Fire District with a copy of an insurance rider naming the fire district as an additional insured.